Thursday, January 13, 2022

The Boundary

I draw a boundary beyond which
I have only indifference to others' suffering
I wake up and think of the universe
And this boundary stretches to the slums of infinity.
By mid day, I feel lucky that something horrible
has bypassed me and my family.
It has struck others beyond the boundary.
Clearly, my boundary has shrunk.
By night, the boundary only extends to the immediate vicinity
To someone whom I can touch and hold
And in the darkest hour, the boundary shrinks
to a point deep inside me. 
It is indifferent to my own sufferings.
Lectures me on the why-not side of probability.

1 comment:

Avi said...

Resonates with my thoughts. Becoming a parent (or having anyone totally dependent) makes one both selfish, and selfless. It is like multiple personalities within one human. Your boundary is the line between both selves.